Tuesday 18 November 2014

Wayne Ford A.K.A. Papa San, A NJ Martial Arts Community Icon

Papa San, has been a NJ martial arts community icon for 50 years. He is a karate teacher, trusted mentor and a loyal friend to parents, students, and contemporaries alike. Not to mention a celebrated resident at UMH Covenant Manor.

Wayne’s martial skills were first recognized as a young boxer on the 4th Street YMCA Boxing Team. After working four years in the U.S. Navy, he returned to the U.S. and dedicated his life to the study of martial arts.

Wayne trained under the Late Min Pai for five years, becoming his teacher’s favorite sparring partner. He remembers Min Pai striking him during a sparring session. “Min didn’t even move,” Wayne recalled. “However, after we got finished, he took me over in a corner and said, “You spar good. You just don’t hit hard enough!”

In 1964, he established his own school in Plainfield and after many years of teaching, Wayne met James Fain, a Black Belt Hall of Fame (International Association of Martial Arts) inductee and Grand Master in the American Goshi Shun Style. Through International Association of Martial Arts Papa San learned Aiki-Jujitsu, a demanding introspective form of Japanese jujitsu. He also perfected his skills in karate and excelled in Aiki-Jujitsu.

Papa San remembered, “When my formal training started with Fain, I was still a truck driver. Coincidentally, one of my deliveries was near his school in Newark. Fain was training with the Great Grand Master Dwight Wilson and he invited me to train for an introduction. The movement was so efficient with an entrancing focus and spirit. I enjoyed the conditioning and drills and knew this signaled something special in my martial arts training. I began again as a novice and that humility, has proven to be the best decision I ever made, for my martial arts and for my life.”

He began to study the true spirit of martial movement and explore an evolved level of discipline. Today, Papa San is an 8th degree black belt in both karate and Aiki-Jujitsu and a recognized Grand Master and a member of the Black Belt Hall of Fame.

At United Methodist Homes, we cherish the stories and experiences of our assisted living residents and associates alike. These caring and compassionate individuals contribute to the tight knit fabric of our communities. To find out more about assisted living at United Methodist homes visit us at www.umh-nj.org.

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete