This industry is a growing and exciting one, with many opportunities for people to experience the rewards of being a senior caregiver. Here are the most important traits of a great senior caregiver, from our assisted living team in Camden County, NJ:
- Dealing with people in such an intimate way — taking care of aspects of their daily lives like dressing, hygiene and medical care — is challenging, and this challenge is even more apparent when residents suffer from conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Having patience and the ability to be flexible and calm at all times is essential to caregiving, providing the best outcomes for the residents and taking various hurdles like mood swings, unscheduled events and difficult situations in stride.
- Empathy and compassion. Caregiving isn’t just about giving people the support they need to take care of chores, medication and daily needs, it’s about building a connection and relationship with the resident to help them live a full and happy life. Being able to empathize with residents is essential to providing high-quality care because a caregiver understands what the patient is going through, anticipate their needs and deliver care in a way that is positive and effective without being intrusive or overwhelming.
- Good communication skills. Communication is a significant part of this role, from communicating with residents and other members of the care team to keeping in touch with family and loved ones. Great communication skills keep everyone up-to-date as well as helping to keep residents calm and comfortable. These skills are also vital for picking up on minor health issues and needs, so that they are addressed early and don’t become more serious.
- Caregivers at the assisted living facility should be happy to demonstrate that they are fully trained and certified according to state guidelines to take on their role. Another good sign is that the community encourages associates to engage in continued learning and skill development to keep improving and advancing the services they deliver.
- Residents come first. Always putting the needs of the residents first is essential. Little things like knowing the residents by name, taking the time to get to know them and their loved ones, and participating with residents through events, socializing and companionship is important and shows that the associates are actively involved in the community itself.
Become Part of the Senior Care Family at Our Assisted Living Community in Camden County, NJ!
United Methodist Communities at Collingswood New Jersey is part of the United Methodist Communities network of high-quality, non-profit, assisted living communities specializing in independent living for seniors. As part of the United Methodist Communities network, we also offer rehabilitation, access to therapists, hospice care, respite care and memory care and support services. We welcome seniors from all faith backgrounds.
The team at Collingswood is united by their tremendous sense of satisfaction in caring for, and having relationships with active, vibrant seniors. Our assisted living community offers associates an environment which upholds spirituality and our non-profit mission as the framework for everything they do, creating a supportive and focused environment. Our team also lives “the abundant life” we offer our residents by having a true sense of purpose when they come to work every day.
To find out more about career opportunities at any of the four full-service United Methodist Communities or our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ, please visit our website at http://collingswood.umcommunities.org/ or contact us today.
Original content posted on https://umcommunities.org/blog/5-characteristics-of-the-best-assisted-living-staff/